The other day I discussed why so many New Year’s Resolutions tend to fail. My list included things like: resolutions are unrealistic, poorly planned, scattered and with little convictions behind them. Today I wanted to take a look at ways you can make positive life changes and not fall victim to the 92% of resolutions that fail.
Instead of making a New Year’s Resolution, why not take the next couple of days and decide on some long lasting positive changes that you want to make in your life. Today I want to give you some tips on how to take those steps towards positive long term changes in your life.
1) Choose One – I often talk to people who have a lot of things they want to change and go out and try to change them all and then get so overwhelmed they just quit. Instead of making a lot of big changes, choose just one. What I have found is that when you choose just one and are successful in it, you are encouraged to continue to make more changes. Success breeds success!
2) Life is Journey, So Is Change – I always say Life is a journey, not a destination. That is also true for making changes. People often look at change as a quick fix, so when things don’t work out the way they want; they get frustrated and give up. If you look at change as a journey that is going to take a while and is ongoing, when you have a bad day you can just easily move on without putting on a lot of blame or shame.
3) Plan – One of the problems with New Year’s Resolutions is that people go into them without a plan. To make changes in your life be long lasting it is important to take the time to make a plan and follow it. You wouldn’t go on a 3 week vacation without a plan, so why would you not make a plan for something that will last a life time? Grab some time, some paper, a calendar and make a plan.
4) Break It Up – Why put the pressure on yourself with big numbers or big change. Instead of looking at the big things, break it up into smaller, achievable steps. If you want to run a marathon but you haven’t run before you certainly won’t go out and do 26.2 miles today. But if you break it down into small achievable steps you can work your want into success.
5) Talk About It – When you decide to make a change make sure that you tell someone or a group of someone’s. Accountability is a wonderful thing and sometimes just knowing that someone is watching is enough to help you keep on track to success.
6) Reward Yourself – You should have moments to celebrate and reward your success. Plan times along your journey to reward yourself. Now don’t go crazy!!! Choose an appropriate reward for your success. Buy yourself something, enjoy a drink or have a small sweet, anything that will help you celebrate your achievement. Reward yourself, you deserve it.
7) You Can’t Fail – I get so annoyed when people tell me that they have failed at making a change and have given up. We tend to look at times when we aren’t following our plan as failures and failure is a four letter word. Instead of looking at it as a failure, realize (and this is true) that it isn’t a failure, just not your best day and tomorrow is another day. If you stop beating yourself about the things you didn’t do today, just refocus and regroup and face tomorrow resolved to continue along the path. You can’t fail if you keep moving forward. Moving forward itself is success.
As you can see there are many things that can help you forget the idea of New Year’s Resolutions and instead helps you make long lasting changes in your life. Don’t make resolutions, make changes! These tips are designed to help you be successful in the changes you wish to make and can be a guide throughout the year as you continue to move forward. Take some time today and decide what changes you want to make and let’s get started. Remember that every journey begins with a step. Today is the first step in a life changing journey. Have a great day today and don’t forget: Life is a journey, not a destination!
If you need help, a life coach can help you create a plan to let go and move forward. Whether you are local or on the other side of the world I am here to help. If you need a life coach, please do not hesitate to contact me at StephenLifeCoach@gmail.com.
18 total views, 18 views today